Plastic-Free July Challenge
Plastic Free July!! Have you heard about this? I had not until our public library shared the info in an email:
Plastic pollution is a major problem in the Great Lakes: More than 22 million pounds of plastic end up in the Lakes every year. And plastic, unlike naturally occurring materials like wood or stone, never really goes away. Instead, it just breaks up into smaller and smaller pieces — which is what we call “microplastics.” These microscopic pieces of plastic have been found in our drinking water, fish, beer – and even in people’s blood.
Plastic-Free Not Just near The Great Lakes
Fortunately, there are things we can all do to make a difference. This July, people all over the world are taking action to reduce plastic pollution for Plastic-Free July, a global initiative founded by the Plastic-Free Foundation.
Please join us in making a change during Plastic-Free July. Here are a few ways you can help the Great Lakes this month:
- Hold your community accountable: Ask your representatives and your favorite businesses what they’re doing to reduce plastic pollution.
- Celebrate a plastic-free 4th of July: Check out these 9 tips to keep plastic out of the Great Lakes during your holiday weekend.
- Commit to a new habit: Whether you say goodbye to plastic cutlery or take action in your own community, you can help reduce plastic pollution all year round.
- Help with clean-up: Beach and neighborhood cleanups are a fun, free, easy way to give back to your community and keep plastic pollution out of our Great Lakes. Check out Adopt-a-Beach to find a community beach clean-up near you!
- Reduce and reuse before recycling. Consuming less and reusing more is better for the environment than any amount of recycling.
- Make it a movement: Have an even bigger impact by spreading the word. Tell your friends and family what you’re doing for Plastic Free July, and invite them to join in.
Small Plastic-Free Actions
Small actions make big waves! Your efforts this Plastic-Free July add one more voice to the collective call to address plastic pollution across our country and globe.
Please share this information with your family and friends. One small change – JUST ONE – does make a difference when added together. One + one + one + one + one . . . equals a big difference. What one single thing can you commit to?!
- Takeaway coffee container – bring your own
- Water bottle – are you still using these?
- Toothbrush – is your’s plastic?
- Sandwich bags – is there a better way to wrap your sandwich
- Grocery bags – you know you have TONS of fabric totes to use
- Straws – can you skip this or ask for the paper version
It’s almost overwhelming the number of plastics surrounding us. There was a day plastic didn’t exist; we can overcome this pervasive issue together, one alternate choice at a time. I hope you join us!
♥ ♥ ♥