Longarm Kick Butt Binding Session
The Memorial Day weekend kick butt longarm quilting session was a fabulous success. We managed to get six of the seven quilt tops we brought along all quilted plus we had loads of fun. As a result of all that fun, a big binding session was needed shortly thereafter. It’s your basic cause-and effect-statement. Finishing quilting a project leads to needing the final touch of binding to be added, which leads to a truly completely finished product. Yikes! It’s a vicious circle but one that I’m happy to share to completion.
Binding Car Quilts Project #1 and #2
We chose a panto called Fluffy Clouds with a light blue/baby blue Glide thread for two of the car quilts. We also used only one piece of fabric for the backing for both of the quilts. That meant I had to cut the Hot Wheels and the Thomas pieces apart before I could easily add the binding. I really love the backing fabric – it was a good buy from Missouri Star Quilt Company at only $5/yard.
Here’s the off-the-rails picture . . . which led to these two car quilt finishes. We used the leftover blue backing fabric as the binding on both quilts.
Binding the Coloring on the Farm Car Quilt #3
The next project needing binding is the Coloring On the Farm car quilt. For this quilt top, we switched to our favorite, good-for-every-purpose gray Glide thread and used the “Loop the Loop” panto by Urban Elementz. This is such a pretty quilt with sweet farm animals.
It was a quick finish and equally as quick to add the binding. We used the leftover light green polka dot fabric for the binding.
Binding the Dr. Seuss Quilt
The Dr. Seuss piece that had been in timeout and thinking about itself for three years is finished. Can I say that I am very, very, very happy to have a period on this particular quilt project?! There is still one more to be finished, which will be hopefully, sooner than later. This is another quilt that we chose the “Loop the Loop” panto and gray Glide thread.
This Dr. Seuss quilt finished at just about the same size as the car quilts! Since we had plenty of the Seuss-themed backing fabric left over, we used that for the binding. Another quilt to check off the To-Do list!
Binding the Christmas Table Toppers
The two smallest finishes are the hexagon toppers and those two took us the longest to quilt. It was our first time trying this really cool panto called Tannenbaum. The tree outline shows up fairly well on the batting, plus you can see the cute polka dot background fabric we used on the lighter one.
These two toppers share the same backing fabric which has pine trees on it that exactly mimic the shape of the panto!
Finding binding for these small projects seems to be much quicker and easier than for the larger quilt tops. We tend toward a dark binding most of the time for a couple of reasons. First, because that seems to be a good choice to not show dirt on something that won’t be washed too frequently. And second, the dark color pulls out the appliqué stitching around each of the individual shapes we want to feature.
We’ve got a few more of these hexagon topper in the works. When we find something we like, we stick with it. Until next time, keep the faith and sew on. Bye for now!
♥ ♥ ♥