Doll Quilt #2 with Ruler Work
Last Friday I shared a boyish doll quilt that we will be sending to A Doll Like Me. This week we share a more girly doll quilt with lots of pink and purple featured with some ruler practice work. If you missed the previous post and wanted to learn more about this charity, just check out this link for Doll Quilt #1 and FMQ Practice.
Sue had some extra charm pack squares leftover from her Bubbles quilt. I laid them out in a 3 by 4 pattern and thought it needed a little extra. I’ve had these solid pink rectangles sitting next to my sewing machine for a few months. I thought, hmm, if I added a little white square to them they’ll be perfect. So while Sue had class one evening, I stitched up this little flimsy.
We used a piece of this cute owl fabric on the back. It is hard to tell but that is a bright pink on one of the owls, along with orange, yellow, teal and lime green. They make me smile just looking at them.
Doll Quilt & Rulers
For this little dolly quilt I wanted to give rulers a go. I pulled out my ruler foot and the Westalee straight/curved ruler that came with it. Having used this ruler now, I really like the marking on it. Or at least I will like them once I can remember how to use them successfully each time I move them.
As you’ll see soon enough, I had a few wobbly moments. More practice is definitely needed. I have an issue when holding the ruler closest to me and then following it right to left. Veering off into space . . . oops!
I started in the white square and immediately forgot that the ruler foot itself took up about 1/4″. So the first line is about 1/2″ from the seam instead of the 1/4″ I have in the lower pink box. In that lower pink box, you can see my veering on the second line from the bottom. I didn’t make a drastic correction like I did in later squares! Thinking about it now, it probably would be better not to overcorrect, but oh well. I have found that I’m fairly comfortable using the ruler on any side of the foot, with my weakest point being in the front. Although it didn’t seem to slip much, I need to put some of those gripper spots on the ruler. I also had to raise the ruler foot at first because it was so tight on the quilt sandwich that I could move it around at all. Good thing it is easy to adjust!
The white block looks fairly good – and isn’t that CUTE fabric?!! – while the purple block reflects my veering off the ruler path and a quick correction. Ah well, I’ll try harder to stay on the path next time. Here’s the finished doll quilt, and it will be on the way shortly to be given with a doll.
The binding is some leftover Princess fabric, and it worked out that the word Cinderella pops up on each side of the quilt. And a note on doll quilt #1 – all the red marks did come out! I stuck it in the freezer for a bit and when I pulled it out the marks were still gone. Phew!!
Our Linky Parties can be found by clicking the link for more quilting fun or on the sidebar of our website – check out what our friends are up to. Like/follow us on our Facebook page and share your likes/loves there! We love to see them. ~smile~