A Big Boy Dinosaur Quilt for Chase
Long before our youngest little turned two we decided to make Chase a dinosaur quilt for his eventual big boy bed. His older brother has a truck quilt and his sister a ballerina quilt, while his cousin received a sports-themed quilt for his big bed. All of these quilts have been heavy on the appliqué technique and Chase’s would be no different.
Plus, our friend, Rosalie, had made a dinosaur quilt for her great-nephew so we thought it would be fun to continue the trend. One big boy bed dinosaur quilt coming right up . . . although not as quickly as a short-order cook.
Humble Beginnings for a Dinosaur Quilt
I’m almost embarrassed to say that we ordered the fabric for Chase’s quilt back in November. We even kept all of the fabric in the delivery box so it would stay together and not get used for a different project!
We elected to start with a blue background, unlike Rosalie’s version which featured different greens. Finding a nice variety of blue was fairly easy because we ordered a solid blue fat quarter bundle along with some yardage for the wide borders. Sue worked on tracing the huge dinosaur shapes onto Heat n’ Bond Lite. Once that was done, those shapes lay on the floor of our sewing room until it was time to begin construction in earnest. We even stepped on them a few times.
Lots of Dinosaur Appliqué Needed
Once we decided to focus on sweet little Chasey’s need for a big boy bed quilt, it was time to get down to appliqué. I really enjoy the whole process.
We had to spread the quilt top on the living room floor since the shapes were so large. Once we had a general placement idea, Sue started ironing the major pieces.
The faces and spikes would have to wait until the initial appliqué pass was finished.
Add Some Dinosaur Personality
Buttonholing ensued and then we were able to add the embellishments that brought each dinosaur to life. This green guy is Sue’s favorite! I can see why . . . he does have a bit of a personality. Once all of the appliqué of the dinosaurs was complete, it was time to sprinkle a few blades of grass around.
Finally, one last border of blue fabric squares is added to all four sides. Of course, I forgot to take a picture after that step! I did manage to take one showing the charm squares featured in the final border after washing. We love to have a nice dark border to anchor the edge of the quilt.
Another Longarm Adventure
It was time for another visit to our friends’ longarm. Ken and Carol are so gracious and welcoming to allow us to quilt this piece. We got it loaded (correctly this time!) and Sue took the helm. We used our favorite panto (Loop the Loop by Urban Elementz) mostly because we are quite comfortable with it. The spacing worked out just perfectly which is a happy surprise on the last row! Ken stopped his woodworking to take a picture of the three of us with the quilt off the longarm.
Just a few more pictures to share the quilty squishiness on the Grunge backing fabric and the front.
Finally, a finish for Chase. After washing and drying the quilt measures 66″ x 90″. We hope he will be covered in our love and good wishes for a few years. Wear it out and we’ll happily make another!
♥ ♥ ♥